A few days ago I took my first yoga class since arthroscopic surgery on my right knee (10 days prior).
I'm feeling really good.
But I noticed that my knee was tender and a bit unstable in poses in which I was down on the floor with my knee bent and thigh externally rotated.
Specifically, I very carefully did agni stambhasana (fire log pose), eka pada raja kapotasana variation (one-leg lord of the pigeon pose), janu sirsasana (knee head pose), and simple cross-legged sitting, like sukhasana (easy pose).
In each of these poses I tended to point my toe and invert the ankle so that the sole of my foot faced up.
I'm feeling really good.
But I noticed that my knee was tender and a bit unstable in poses in which I was down on the floor with my knee bent and thigh externally rotated.
Specifically, I very carefully did agni stambhasana (fire log pose), eka pada raja kapotasana variation (one-leg lord of the pigeon pose), janu sirsasana (knee head pose), and simple cross-legged sitting, like sukhasana (easy pose).In each of these poses I tended to point my toe and invert the ankle so that the sole of my foot faced up.
If you look at the pictures that are linked to each of the Sanskrit pose names above, you'll see that in all but one the yogi has his or her toe pointed and the sole of the foot facing up, just like me.
source:http://www.experienceyoga.blogspot.com/